Prepare for your pet during COVID-19
No longer able to leave the house due to compulsory self-isolation? Feeling sick and not sure if it is the common cold or COVID-19? Want to prepare for your pet in the event something unexpected happens to you? Or just wanting to stay home to mitigate the spread of COVID-19? It is best not to take chances during these uncertain times, which is why it is important to take proactive measures and prepare for your pet during COVID-19.
Here are recommendations we feel are important to include in your pet care plan:
#1 Have sufficient supplies
- Stock up one months’ worth of:
If you happen to already be self-isolating and not able to buy products personally, ask a friend or family member to help you drop off the products outside your home or order your products online. If you are looking for The Golden Bone Bakery treats and long-lasting chews, our online shop is open 24/7 for you.
#2 Update your pet’s details
- If you are not already self-isolating, this is a good time to get your pet up-to-date with vaccinations. This is important in the event they have to be taken care by your pet’s emergency caregiver or a business.
- Ensure their microchip contact details and ID tags are also up-to-date.
#3 Have a plan
- Have a plan in the event that you are hospitalised – this includes pre-arranging two relatives or friends that agree to be emergency caregivers and also transport. Ensure your emergency caregivers and transport person have each other’s contact details and that you have the appropriate crates/carriers for your pets to be transported.
- Ensure that you have all the medications and instructions documented (e.g. dosages, how and when medication is taken, a script for the medication) for your caregivers, along with your pet’s vaccination records and contact list (e.g. veterinarian and insurance details).
- It is also good to carry a card in your wallet that states that you have a pet at home and the contacts of your caregivers to inform emergency personnel.
It is important we do not overlook our pets when preparing for COVID-19. Run down this list to ensure that you do not forget important steps when planning for your pet, so that your furbaby can continue to be cared for and kept happy during these uncertain times.
Stay safe everyone – together we will get through this!
Did you enjoy reading this post? Help us spread the word by sharing with a friend who might enjoy it.