We all love spicing up our homes with plants, but we need to be aware of plants that could cause harmful effects to our pets. Here are 7 poisonous plants to dogs that could pose serious health risks.
Poisonous plant #1: Nightshade
Even though this plant looks great in your garden, it can cause serious health problems to your dog. Nightshade is a type of weed and contains atropine, a commonly used drug in medicine. Atropine causes dilated pupils, uncoordinated movement, fever and seizures. The toxin is found in highest amounts in the berries of the plant but if you suspect your dog has eaten any part of the plant, take them to the vet immediately.
Poisonous plant #2: Azalea
Azaleas come in many different colours and look great in the garden, but they are quite toxic to our furry friends. We need to be careful they do not nibble on them. The toxin is found in the leaves and nectar of the plant. If your dog eats this plant, some common signs you see include drooling, diarrhoea, muscle weakness, trouble breathing and collapse.
Poisonous plant #3: Yesterday, today and tomorrow
This plant can be easily recognised by looking at it’s flowers. When it blooms, it starts off purple, then turns lavender and then white. The toxin is found in the fruit of these plants and can cause very serious problems, such as: seizures, vomiting, diarrhoea and muscle tremors.
Poisonous plant #4: Golden Dewdrop
This is a common garden shrub that looks amazing in your garden, but we need to think twice before letting our furry friends near it. Some common signs you see when your dog eats this plant includes depression, drowsiness, convulsions and vomiting.
Poisonous plant #5: Morning Glory
The seed of this beautiful plant contains a toxin known as lysergic acid. Digesting this toxin can cause common symptoms, such as: dilated pupils, aggressive behaviour and discoordination.
Poisonous plant #6 : Lilies
This plant has been commonly reported to cause kidney disease in cats, but we need to make sure that our dogs are not eating them as well. If your dog does eat this plant you may see symptoms such as vomiting, drooling, depression and seizures.
Poisonous plant #7: Oleander
Oleander is a common shrub found in gardens that comes in a variety of colours. This plant is known to cause heart problems in our pets. Some of the common signs you may see include difficulty breathing, collapse and shock.
Keep these plants away!
In conclusion, we want to make sure that our pets are not getting access to these plants. If we do have these plants in our gardens, we need to ensure to remove them or that our pets are not outside unsupervised.
If you suspect your pet has eaten any of the plants mentioned, please report to your local veterinarian immediately.
Dalefield R. Veterinary Toxicology for Australia and New Zealand. Elsesvier, Oxford, UK, 2008: 485-530.
About the Author
Alexander Del Bianco is a Veterinarian student at the University of Queensland.
Did you enjoy reading this post? Help us spread the word by sharing with a friend who might enjoy it.